Monday, March 5, 2012

In Your Face and on Your Countertop.

     Okay, so from the conditioner experiment, I had some avocado pits and lime peels I didn't want to let go to waste.  Here, I will show you what I did with them.

First, grate the avocado pits.  I used a rotary grater with a small grate.  Avocado pits, just like the flesh itself, are full of those mega-awesome plant fats that are really good for our bodies.

They also start turning brown really fast.  They look more like orange peels than anything within a few minutes.  That's okay, though, they're still fine for non-eating purposes.  Add some sugar (in my case, raw sugar), and some kind of tea.  I happened to think the Moroccan Mint would do well.

Add enough oil (I used olive oil, but flaxseed would be awesome) to bind everything together and mix it up.  And you have facial scrub!

The face scrub works very well.  My face has never felt so soft... the only thing I don't like is that the avocado pits don't exactly dissolve, so there are always bits of it left in the tub and the hair-catcher.  But, you know, I have to clean that stuff out anyway, so no big deal.

**********
Next! The lime peels from the conditioner experiment went into a pot, along with the pulp and seeds I strained out.

We also had a few oranges which had been sitting in the fridge too long, and were past the point that anyone would eat them, along with a couple lemons.  And, a bunch of rosemary I trimmed off of a client's plant some months ago.  Rosemary is one of several plants which has antimicrobial properties without being ridiculously over-effective.  It doesn't smell bad, either.

After the citrus is cut into slices, and the rosemary is in small enough hunks to fit into the pot, put it all in and add a bunch of water.  Don't worry too much, this is more of an art than an exact science.
Next, cook it on the stove.  I tend to get mine to boiling, then leave it on a low simmer for a couple hours with the lid on.  This time, I then let the pot of stuff sit overnight (not heated) before dealing with the rest of the process.

And then, strain everything.  squish the liquid out of the pulp and rinds, but not too hard, or it will all fall apart, and you'll have lots of solid matter in your liquid.  Which, wouldn't necessarily be a problem if you're not going to put it in a spray bottle like I did.

Again, we need a clean and empty bottle, and a funnel.  This particular bottle came from an inherited commercial product, as you can see.

If this product is going to be used for surfaces like counters and mirrors, like it will be in this house, you'll want to add some vinegar.  We happened to have this coconut vinegar, which I thought would mesh smell-wise better than apple cider vinegar.  So my bottle is about half citrus and rosemary concoction, one quarter coconut vinegar, and one quarter water.

Since I had more than enough for the one bottle, I put the rest of the citrus and rosemary stuff in other bottles we had around the house, and haven't added anything to those yet. 

The rinds, rosemary bits, and pulp that we cooked? That's right, we have a use for that, too.
Put all of the "waste" in a blender.
And blend it until well... blended.

Simmering and soaking didn't pull out nearly all of the compounds that make citrus fruits and rosemary great for cleaning.  What we have left here, combined with some baking soda, would make a really great scrubby paste for difficult cleaning jobs.  And if you really wanted to, you could eat it.  Fantastic stuff, eh?

  

1 comment:

  1. Last picture looks sorta like a salsa I used to eat back when Bandito's was still open...

    ReplyDelete

Please keep things polite. Any hateful or rude comments may be deleted.