Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Why Falling In Love With Your Best Friend Is Awesome

     I've been having an interesting time lately; my relationship with my best friend has taken a decidedly not-platonic turn.  The feelings caught us by surprise, but looking back... it's not really that surprising.  We've always gotten along well, we have a ton of quirks and things in common, and we knew each other to an extent that many people never know their supposed significant others.  We practiced speaking four out of five of the Love Languages for some time; and recently added Physical Touch into the mix.  Who knew foot rubs were actually so dangerous? I mean, other than Pulp Fiction.

     I have to admit, feeling so giddy with someone while being this age and comfortable with myself and our transforming relationship is way cool.  So what I suppose I really mean is why me falling in love with my best friend in our particular situation is awesome, but you probably already knew that.  It's so awesome that I even made a list of some reasons.

-No worries about when to say "I love you;" it's already been said.
-Instant history: we already have shared experiences to build upon.
-Knowing that after the "in love" goes away, we will still have a sold relationship, no matter the form it takes.
-No surprise character flaws; we've known about them for the years we've known each other.
-We already know what it's like to be around each other for days and weeks at a time.
-No uncomfortable "getting to know each other" phase, only the wonder of new discoveries in a new context.
-I don't have to explain polyamory or bring up my husband; they know each other, they get along, and my ideas have been the subject of conversation several times.

     We're still figuring things out, and who knows where this path will lead? What I do know is that this new form of an old relationship is currently giving us much happiness, and I'm content with that.

    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep things polite. Any hateful or rude comments may be deleted.